Monday, August 23, 2010

Fairy Tale Influenced Fiction 2011

Quick update:

I have started the list for Fairy Tale Influenced Fiction 2011 on Amazon.  There are eight titles on it already and I'm sure many more to come.  If you know of any titles I should add to it, please let me know.  I haven't started the nonfiction or picture book lists yet, but I am working on them, too.

One novel, A True Princess by Diane Zahler looks to be a Princess and the Pea retelling.

We also have a Little Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright.

Then there's yet another Twelve Dancing Princesses, this one titled Entwined by Heather Dixon.  I think Twelve Dancing wins the award for most novel interpretations over the last few years, even beating Cinderella.  Did the Barbie movie really inspire that much interpretation?  There's not even that much scholarship devoted to the tale...  The title is pretty perfect as a one word title.

That's just a few of the titles, but I am especially excited that some fairy tales that aren't made into novels very often are getting some print time.  Considering just how popular Little Red Riding Hood is, it's amazing there aren't more novels with the character.  And Princess and the Pea is so ripe with possibilities, too. 

That said, I also updated the 2010 list with some titles--that has a feed to the left of the blog. I'll be highlighting the yet to be released ones closer to their release dates.

1 comment:

  1. Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I always loved "The Coachman Rat" by David Henry Wilson.

    ReplyDelete