Friday, March 8, 2013

2012 Nebula Awards Nominees



Again, I'm late on this, but wow, the Nebula Awards nominees are impressive this year. Well, they are every year but they are a strong reminder to me of how far the genre has come in my lifetime of 40 years. My gateway to adult SFF was Anne McCaffrey like it was for so many others decades ago, leaping from Madeleine L'Engle, Robin McKinley, and Vonda McIntyre, among others. And I remember being ridiculed by the one other SFF reader--male, of course--in my high school freshman geometry class for reading her. She wasn't Frank Herbert so I was to be mocked. Bujold was just breaking into the genre at that point and I was ignorant of her existence.

The Nebula Nominee lists are overall female dominated and a fair tale retelling even made the Andre Norton YA short list--Enchanted by Alethea Konis.

Have you read that one yet? It made many Best of Lists for 2012!

But to honor all of these authors, I'll share the complete Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy nominees list:

Iron Hearted Violet, Kelly Barnhill (Little, Brown)
Black Heart, Holly Black (S&S/McElderry; Gollancz)
Above, Leah Bobet (Levine)
The Diviners, Libba Bray (Little, Brown; Atom)
Vessel, Sarah Beth Durst (S&S/McElderry)
Seraphina, Rachel Hartman (Random House Children’s Books; Doubleday UK)
Enchanted, Alethea Kontis (Harcourt)
Every Day, David Levithan (Knopf Books for Young Readers)
Summer of the Mariposas, Guadalupe Garcia McCall (Tu Books)
Railsea, China MiƩville (Del Rey; Macmillan)
Fair Coin, E.C. Myers (Pyr)
Above World, Jenn Reese (Candlewick)

The awards will be announced in May.

And part of me hates saying these things, but hey, I love all good writers and several not so good ones, whatever gender they may be. But getting respect can still be an issue at times even in this century.

And it's Women's History Month. Let's celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment