Monday, October 7, 2013

New Book: The Grimm Conclusion by Adam Gidwitz




The Grimm Conclusion by Adam Gidwitz is officially released tomorrow. I heart Gidwitz for writing about fairy tales, especially more obscure ones, in a way that children and adults enjoy. He's edgy but not over the top for most kids. And, really, not any more than the tales themselves. I can't wait to see which tales he uses in this concluding book. He provided more info in his afterwords, so I'm sure this one will do the same. 

Book description:

Once upon a time, fairy tales were grim.

Cinderella’s stepsisters got their eyes pecked out by birds.

Rumpelstiltskin ripped himself in half.

And in a tale called “The Mouse, the Bird, and the Sausage,” a mouse, a bird, and a sausage all talk to each other. Yes, the sausage talks. (Okay, I guess that one’s not that grim…)

Those are the real fairy tales.

But they have nothing on the story I’m about to tell.

This is the darkest fairy tale of all. Also, it is the weirdest. And the bloodiest.

It is the grimmest tale I have ever heard.

And I am sharing it with you.

Two children venture through forests, flee kingdoms, face ogres and demons and monsters, and, ultimately, find their way home. Oh yes, and they may die. Just once or twice.

That’s right. Fairy tales
Are
Awesome.

Very fitting October release, I'm sure. I've raved often enough about the prior books, but here are cover images all the same because I also heart those:

No comments:

Post a Comment