Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Melissa & Doug Fairy Tale Friends Hand Puppets




Melissa and Doug Toys currently have two fairy tale themed puppet sets. One is the rather generic Melissa & Doug Palace Pals Hand Puppets and the other, not surprisingly is Melissa & Doug Fairy Tale Friends Hand Puppets which is really Little Red Riding Hood as you can see above. Pretty much if there is a company makes a set of fairy tale themed puppets, their first set will be Little Red Riding Hood, sometimes their only set. It beats Cinderella, Three Little Pigs, and Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The concept is usually centered around having four characters--that seems to be the ideal in fairy tale themed puppet sets for some reason (although other sets will shoot for five for all fingers on a hand, like Five Little Monkeys, etc.). LRRH lends itself nicely to the four and is just that popular, I guess.

The Palace Pals set lends itself more to St. George and the Dragon which must make it more popular in Europe where that tale is much more commonly represented. I don't know many kids in the U.S. who are familiar with it.

The one puppet set I am missing in any iteration? Rumpelsiltskin. I wish I had one, but I don't. Because I've never seen one. I even have a full Snow White set thanks to a trip to Europe in 2008 where I found one randomly walking through Bordeaux (see Finger Puppet Fun: Lilliputiens) but no Rumpelstiltskin.


No comments:

Post a Comment